Now here is my take on what I think “Government” and its translation into Latin is. What I did was split the word into two and looked for the closest Latin matches “gubernare” for Govern and “mentis” for the suffix or ending –ment.
Here is where it gets really interesting.
“Gubernare” means to control
• conjugation: 1st conjugation
1. steer, drive, pilot, direct, manage, conduct, guide, control, govern”
And now for the Suffix “mentis” means mind.
• declension: 3rd declension
• gender: feminine
3. plan, intention, frame of mind
4. reason, intellect, judgment
I might be reaching way out there but could the word “Government” be more blat